Four Seasons Activity Programme
Following our company establishment in 2011 The Great Out-tours quest was to develop a unique dual targeting environmental activity syllabus, specifically designed for delivery to 1. Care Home residents & 2. Primary School children. Following considerable investigative inputs and product delivery experience/refinement/evolution, we are very proud to introduce the ‘Four Seasons Activity Programme’:-
“These programmes are structured educational digests of practical activities, sharing with people young and old, that most precious of gifts – the power to appreciate our natural world by sight, sound, scent & touch. We are now in our eighth consecutive year of frontline delivery with these two products and their popularity is at an all time high!”
John Brooksbank – Founder
The Great Out-tours enrich & empower people with special needs, learning disabilities, dementia & mental health conditions, to see, interpret & understand the beauty, features & importance of our countryside. With this new found knowledge people can apply it to the context of their own lives increasing their quality of/appreciation for life.
The Great Out-tours operate a ground-breaking ‘Four Seasons Activity Programme’ providing a structured weekly care home visit service (across a calendar year) for adults with profound learning and physical disabilities. This illuminating and diverse programme tracks the flows of our four seasons, using carefully themed practical activities to herald key seasonal events in our countryside.
With skilled Great Out-tours instructors providing innovation, best practise tool tutelage/guidance and supervision, care home residents work both individually & together, supporting one other on creative wild-wood craft keepsakes & nature linked projects (for care home grounds placement). All activities are specifically focused to track/build an awareness to the seasonal flows of our countryside calendar.
“Since my husband joined The Great Out-tours his life is much more enjoyable. Under the kind and patient supervision of John, he is now able to do many of the DIY things the Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease had stopped him doing on his own. He loves being outdoors doing the variety of things the seasons bring along. Monday and Friday mornings are now something to look forward to instead of just “another day”. We are so pleased we were put in touch with them. Thank you so much.“ Barbara (Wife)
The value to care home owners:
“We have been working in partnership with The Great Out-tours team at our care home for five years with two resident groups participating weekly in their diverse ‘Four Seasons Activity Programme’. Seeing the pleasure on peoples’ faces and feeling the enthusiasm is very, very special.” Mike (Care Home Owner)
Winter season project – Making bird nest boxes to put up ready for Spring nesting birds. Benefits: Both care home resident enrichment & ownership toward care home grounds ecological enhancement.
Spring season project – Making wild-wood Bunny keepsakes for Easter room decoration. Benefits: Care home resident enrichment/empowerment/self-esteem building.
Summer season project 1. – Making refreshing wild Elderflower Cordial in flower blossom season. Benefits: Care home resident enrichment/empowerment/self-esteem building.
Summer season project 2. – Making a bird table for winter use of the care home’s bird life. Benefits: Both care home resident enrichment & ownership toward care home grounds ecological enhancement.
Autumn season project – Apple pressing to make the freshest juice for resident consumption. Benefits: Care home resident enrichment/empowerment/self-esteem building.
- Half day price (0930 – 1330): £35.00 per individual
Find Out More
- The end product will be a neatly bound/presentable document folder which you can actively use to enhance your potential success in finding community project work &/or employment.
- Within this plan we set out a framework of developmental objectives which we work to develop within you. At every opportunity we encourage your self development / employment potential in favoured countryside areas by arranging voluntary work placements (set out with local work providers).
- The course will develop a solid base of knowledge in the flows of the countryside.
- Throughout your time with The Great Out-tours, your work, experiences & personal skills development will be monitored & tracked via an ‘individual learning plan’. This document will be produced to form a portfolio that both during & after your programme participation, will enhance your pathways to community project work and/or a career in the countryside.